You’ve probably had your Wii for quite a while now, and you don’t want to lose all of that hard work you put into your games, so thankfully Nintendo has made it possible to move your saved games and other game data to your new Wii U console.
Be warned however that once you move the data, it’s no longer on your regular Wii and it can’t be moved back, so this is a one way deal.
What you’ll need:
- SD Card or SDHC Memory Card with a minimum of 512 megabytes of memory
- Internet connection on both consoles
- Two Wii controllers.. one paired to the Wii, and the other paired to the Wii U
Here is the process you need to go through to transfer your data to the Wii U:
1. Insert the SD card into the Wii U console
2. From the main menu of the Wii U console, select Wii System Transfer and follow the on-screen prompts
3. Remove the SD Card from the Wii U and insert it into the Wii (via the front flap door)
4. On the Wii, open the Wii Shop Channel and download the transfer application
5. Open the transfer application to start the retrieval process
6. Remove the SD Card from the Wii and insert it back into the Wii U
7. A message will come up on the Wii U telling you that the data will be moved to the console and deleted from the SD Card, press the Transfer button to confirm
8. You’r done, congrats!