Destiny: The Taken King – How to Get a Legendary Sword
One of my absolute favorite additions to Destiny in The Taken King expansion is the ability to have my very own legendary sword.
You see, I was typically the Swordbearer when running Crota, so I always loved the sword. I also used to play games like Rune (for you old school farts like myself) so the sword came fairly natural for me.
Now you can have your very own Legendary sword, and they even come in the typical three variants:
The Arc Edge, which is the Arc variant
The Sol Edge, which is the Solar variant
The Void Edge, which is the Void variant
The legendary versions of the sword are all essentially the same having just one basic attack, with the exception of the burn type that they are associated with. The Exotic versions are much different however, and we’ll go over that later.
How to Get Your Legendary Sword
The first requirement in order to obtain your legendary sword is to complete The Taken King story mission. Trying not to give out any spoilers, lets just say you’ll fight the boss we all know and love from this expansion for your first time.
Once you’ve completed the story, Cayde-6 will send you back to the Dreadnought to setup the patrol beacons, and you’ll need complete that as well.
After setting up the patrol beacons on the Dreadnought, head back to The Tower and speak to Eris Morn, and she’ll have the start of a new quest called A Broken Will.
The first step will be to speak to Lord Shaxx, so jump on over to him for a short chat.
The next (and final) step will be collecting 25 Hadium Flakes (located in chests on the Dreadnought), 10 Motes of Light, and 25 planetary materials depending on which sword you choose.
Quick Tip: Read the next section before you make your choice in swords!
Choose Your Sword Wisely!
You must choose wisely when picking your legendary sword, because the one you choose will eventually lead to the same variant in the Exotic version, which we will cover separately.
The Exotic versions have the following benefits:
Arc – Heavy swing unleashes a swirling Arc beam that also leaves a damaging storm where it lands
Solar – Heavy swing does an uppercut for huge single target damage, which is great for taking out Majors and Ultras
Void – Heavy swing turns you into a twirling blade of death, great for taking out groups of adds
Don’t forget that the sword you choose here will automatically be the same sword variant that you’ll end up getting if you go for the Exotic sword quest, so keep that in mind.
FYI, you get to keep your legendary sword even when you get the Exotic version, and the only way to get a different version of the sword is to run the quest from the beginning on an alternate character, so again.. choose wisely!
Tips and Tricks to Help You Get Your Legendary Sword
- You don’t need new materials for the final step, if you have some banked up then you can use them
- With the right material finder equipped, zoom down a scope on a sniper to see nodes much farther away; even a primary weapon scope will allow you to see them a bit farther than usual
- The Keen Scout perk in the Hunter’s Nightstalker tree helps quite a bit in finding chests for Hadium Flakes
- When you find all of the materials needed in the final step, you won’t get a quest marker at Shaxx, just go to him and you’ll be able to turn in the quest if you have everything you need
- I highly suggest The Mausoleum area on the Dreadnought for farming Hadium Flakes, make circles around the edge checking all of the rooms
- I do NOT suggest doing the Void sword on a Titan, as the Exotic version requires 500 void ability kills, which will suck really bad (bubbles don’t get kills)
- I highly recommend doing this on a Hunter or Warlock, as there is a trick later on that allows you to complete all of the Exotic swords on one character and skip some large sections, and since Void is not easily done on the Titan, Hunter or Warlock are much easier to get ability kills with
Having Trouble Getting Your Sword?
Or maybe you have some tips of your own to add? Let me know in the comments section below!